Friday, June 22, 2007

Le Cinque Terre

This is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Because of that, I will let the pictures do most of the talking. Anyway, on the train (at the Italian border), my bag got searched by the police for drugs, so I was put off quite a bit. However, I didn't let that spoil my trip. I got to Le Cinque Terre at about 2:30 in the afternoon or so, then took a train to villiage number 1, known as Riomaggiore. Now, in case you don't know anything about Le Cinque Terre (as I did before my trip), it is a series of 5 towns that all run along the coast of Italy (in the "armpit"), and there are trains and trails that lead from one to another. I had actually heard about this while in Europe, and after seeing pictures, I decided that I had to go and check it out myself. As soon as I got there, I set out to find a place to stay, as the websites all said that there were tons of bed and breakfast places around. However, I ended up walking all the way to villiage 3 (Corniglia) before I was told to head back. I wasn't bitter at all, but as the sun started to go down, and I didn't have a place to stay, I began to get a bit worried (not so worried that I didn't stop to take pictures though).


Once I found a hostel to stay in, I took a shower, grabbed some dinner and wine, and headed down to the rocks, where all sorts of people just sat there enjoying the scenery and conversation with other travellers. I met lots of people from the States, Austrailia, and New Zealand, and we had lots of discussion about our travels throughout Europe. It was unanimously agreed upon that Le Cinque Terre was the most beautiful and relaxing place people had gone to, as all the shops close down early and there is nothing to do but enjoy the sea and take life at a bit of a slower pace.


The next day, I got up and went kayaking for 2 hours in the sea. It was really nice to be free from everything and just enjoy the waves and wind and water and mountains. I was amazed at how blue the water was, and the rocks were very pretty as well. After that, I just explored for a while longer before heading out on the train.


Of all the places I went, Le Cinque Terre was the one where I wish I had spent more time. It was beautiful, relaxing, and not overcrowded with tourists. If anyone (reading this) ever wants to take a vacation to a miniature paradise, I would definitely recommend this place. It has everything necessary to take life at a very slow pace, and I loved it. Also, if you (the reader) look at ANY pictures in my entire blog, the ones from Cinque Terre are the ones most worthwhile (in my opinion).

Check out these sweet pics

No comments: